Monday, December 1, 2008

The Beginning of the Snakes PART 1


This is a series of drawings that originally began last winter.
Having studied tattooing and tattoo art for several years I noticed the styles of different artists. I began to draw a lot more tattoo imagery before this time and wanted to create my own style that made my work iconic while at the same time original. I had previous been working on a lot of Koi fish imagery and Irezumi dragons. But I began taking an interest in snakes in japanese prints and tattooing.

I saw what T.C. Williams, an amazing tattoo artist, did with his snakes in tattooing and how his were so original. His style is unlike anyone elses. I tried out my own style of snakes, I began drawing like a fiend. I first drew traditional "tattooish" snakes, getting a feel for things. Next I started drawing realistic snakes until finally I brought the two together. I added small elements that gave them flare and eventually started using a different coloring process. I payed close attention to the movement of snakes and how their bodies interact with the wa they move. I finally came to a unique vision.

You can see for yourself how it this particular is designed like most tattoo flash, but upon inspection it has something different that makes it unique to me. Those who know my artwork previously can see my style of drawing.

At this time I also began even more so exploring art conceptually. "Art for art's sake" is fun but as an artist there is a need to create meaning and significance in your work. Lately I have been dealing with the human condition and other aspects of life that lead to demise. This notion, along with my interest in creating images that signify revelation, would be integrated with the original snake to form what I call the "Inevitabilites: Vice Series"....

...to be continued


No comments: